Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

Honest, sometimes I make things that are not pop culture references. (sometimes I say things that are not pop culture references, too, but it doesn't happen often...)

First, let me give credit where credit is due. CakeWrecks inspired me. Now this is a blog which makes me laugh almost daily, but it usually doesn't inspire me. My cake decorating skills are not even on a wreck-worthy level. But today? Well, I thought I could do something with what she presented today.

So without further ado, I present to you: Friday the 13th Jason Voorhees cookies.



Inspired, but not directly copied by the designs presented on CakeWrecks as well as the links within that post.


Here's the quick and easy cheat:

I purchased chocolate chocolate chip cookies and fondant. I sandwiched 2 cookies, using strawberry jelly as a filling. I rolled out the fondant then cut out large circles for each mask (I used a sandwich crimper - use what you've got - freestyle, if you have a steadier hand than I) I then cut out eyes using small cookie cutters. Again - use what you've got. I used a thick toothpick to place the rest of the holes. I pressed the fondant 'mask' over the cookie sandwich and, voila!


I did almost ENTIRELY rip off the note John M. posted on CakeWrecks. Since mine were for adolescents as an after school snack, I changed the cautionary portion a little bit. Mine went like this:

Hey Guys!

In honor of that hockey mask wearing patron of this unlucky day, I have made you some delicious Jason Voorhees cookies. Much like the diabolical monster, these tasty treats are dark and ugly on the outside, but they have a sweet, red, gooey inside (like many of his victims. You just won't need a machete to find it).

So, enjoy! And remember, it's never a good idea to make out with your boyfriend/girlfriend. Ever. Especially not in the woods. Or anywhere. Ever. Jason hates that.

Love,
Mom

If I were to do it again with the advantage of a little more forethought, I might make chocolate cupcakes with a jelly center and proceed to decorate them the same way. I might also use a chocolate chip or a jelly bean or something to define the nose on the hockey mask. But given that I did these on the fly, I think they came out pretty good.

So tell me? Who's the coolest after-school-snack-making-mom-on-Friday-the-13th? Aw, you don't have to answer that. I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment