Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pay it Forward

A few days ago I received the following note from a friend on Facebook:


The first five (5) people to respond to this post will get something made by me.
This offer does have some restrictions and limitations so please read carefully:

- I make no guarantees that you will like what I make.

- What I create will be just for you.

- It'll be done this year (2009).

- You have no clue what it's going to be. It will be something made in the real world and not something cyber. It may be a mixed CD. It may be a poem. I may draw or paint something. I might bake you something and mail it to you. It may involve yarn. Who knows? Not you, that's for sure!

- I reserve the right to do something extremely strange.

And in return, all you need to do is post this text into a note of your own and make 5 things for 5 others.

Now I was immediately intrigued, particularly since the person who posted the note is a gifted painter and I am not. Hoping for an original piece of art for my home, I quickly responded and re-posted the note. I almost immediately had my five responses.

My gut impulse was to find a satisfactory design and make it for all five. A purse, perhaps. Something pampering. Something like that. Then I re-read the post. What I create will be just for you. How could I, in good conscience, treat it like an assembly line project? Besides, it was supposed to be almost a surprise, even though they signed up for it. Give it some time to slip to the back of their mind, then when it arrives it will be a lovely surprise.

I posted a note with all of their names on it above my desk, where I look at it many times throughout the course of the day. As I learn things through their posts about these women, I write them on my notes. Interests, dreams, favorite colors... and the ideas started coming. I won't say they're coming fast and furious, but they're coming. I know for sure what I am making for two of these gals, and I am happy with my plan. I am sure I will become equally inspired by the other three as our conversations unfold.

I think this is an awesome idea! I love working on things for people that don't have that deadline of 'birthday' or 'Christmas' or anything else. Just within a year. When I think of the right thing. Just for you.

When I've completed all five projects, I'll post them, but not before. You never know who's poking around on the interwebs and I sure don't want to ruin anyone's surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment